I’m so grateful to You Tube for making it possible for us to see this eminent and enlightened neurologist speaking at a Psychotherapy conference in Romania! And for FREE! The full lecture is available below. Watch it while you can. My experience is that many of the best videos on You Tube get removed after a short time.
A couple of my favorite quotes:
“Pills do not substitute for Skills”
In my life and with my clients, ADHD meds make it easier to learn skills and to USE the skills we have learned to develop new habits.
Pills AND skills seem to be the most effective at improving quality of life in my case. I’ve tried to go without medication, but the combination of going through menopause, having PTSD and ADHD make it nearly impossible for me function with any kind of reliability. With it, surprisingly I’ve even made tremendous strides in healing my PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)
The right medication in the right amount and frequency for your unique biology can transform your life IF you are also working on learning skills that aren’t hardwired into our brains. Skills like
- Learning how to pause and / or delay when you are excited about something
- Learning how to get into action when you are dislike doing something but really need to
- Learning how to compare yourself to your “real” peer group or to yourself instead of judging yourself by other people’s abilities or standards
- Learning how to think linearly and chronologically when you need to spread a project or task over time or make a time estimate
- Learning how to cultivate your inner observer to notice your own predictable patters and work with them instead of judge them
- Learning how to pay attention to what you are paying attention to and why you are paying attention
- Learning how to build on your strengths instead of focusing on “symptoms”
- Learning to teach or train yourself with patience instead of trying to “get yourself” to do things against your will.
- Learning how to enjoy surprising yourself and discovering how to trust that most of the time, the ways you surprise can be really humorous or really productive
- Learning how to deal with and heal the secondary emotional traumas that come with growing up different
Thank you Dr. Goldstein!
My YouTube Channel:
Agility and Navigating Uncertainty
VIDEO CLIP of my Presentation at Wealthy Thought Leader Conference, Vancouver, Canada, April 19 2012